“a state of mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or demanding circumstances.”
It seems that stress and motherhood goes hand in hand these days, so much so that it’s almost an expected state due to our ‘demanding circumstances’ raising children, working, paying bills, taking said children to extra curricular activities, all the while making life fun and magical.
But does it have to be this way?
It’s a question I’ve been asking myself more and more lately. I’ve never experienced as much stress and I have in the last four-and-half years spent in the trenches of motherhood and I would hazard a guess that I’m not alone.
Yesterday, I did a quick inventory of the things stressing me out, and these were the thoughts that popped into my head:
- Paediatrician’s appointment for my eldest son addressing a developmental delay. What are we going to find out? And how much is it going to cost?
- Organising work around the appointment so I get the work I need done to keep my employer happy while meeting my family demands.
- The house is a mess and I don’t know what we’re having for dinner tonight.
- Big bills to pay, all due in the next couple of weeks.
- I promised to blog all of May about stress, and I’m stressing out about it.
- Not keeping in better touch with my best friends by phone or catching up.
You get the drift. The list ebbs and flows every day, but some of the themes remain the same. There never seems enough time and so many competing demands, leaving me often in a state of anxiety. Maybe you feel that way too? And you want to break the cycle and get a bit more control over the stress levels?
It’s my aim this month to methodically break down what’s causing me stress and come up with action plan to stress less. I’ll be sharing my thoughts and processes this month and invite you to get busy with me in pinpointing what you’re own key stressors are and how you can feel in more control again.
There’s no denying that being a mother is challenging, but I passionately believe it shouldn’t take a toll on our wellbeing, be it physical, mental or spiritual.
Who wants to join me? Monday we’ll start off with an exercise to get honest about what’s causing us stress and move on from there – with new posts up on Monday and Friday. So come and join me and get ready to stress less!