Sitting here at the kitchen table in our new home, with working internets and phone and a whole heap of stuff that hasn’t quite found a place to reside, I feel now is as good a time as any to cast my mind through the year that was.
Yes, it’s derivative and I’ve never been a big one for the dreaded ‘new years resolutions’ but even though we’ve undergone a huge life shift with the purchase of a house, I still find myself languishing around aimlessly in some place I’m not sure of. Rut feels like an understatement.
So for the purposes of forging ahead, here’s my 2010 in review:
- Finally got this blog going and found a sense of peace and perspective from writing about my thoughts.
- Returned to my job after maternity leave two days a week and enjoying the balance of working and mothering (plus the extra cash aint too bad!)
- The J boy – he continues to surprise and delight me every day. He is such a special soul and we are so lucky to have him in our lives.
- Love and friendship. I am blessed to have such a hands-on and loving partner and close friends who are unquestionably there for me.
- Adam finally finished his electrical apprenticeship.
- We welcomed a new niece and my besty got engaged.
- Our new house. Although there are still boxes all around, it already feels like home.
- Adam getting sick – Sarcoidosis is not something I’d ever heard of before, but now it’s something we’re learning to live with.
- Losing my beloved Ma. I still think of her everyday and know she’s here somewhere watching over us all. She was a true inspiration to me and sometimes I just wish I could sit with her and have a chat, a cuppa and some of her baked goods.
- My lovely friends losing their beloved boy. As they struggle to come to terms with life without him while welcoming their new baby girl … if I had one wish in the world it would be to bring him back to them. If only I could.
- The black dog claiming another victim, and a new wife facing life without her partner. In April we were celebrating Ad’s cousin Lauren’s wedding to her beloved Steven and then 5 months later, the shock news that Steven had passed away.
- My penchant for gorging myself on anything and everything – it’s a cliche but this really stops here! 2011 is my year for healthy happiness.
- Competitive mothers. The ‘one-up-womanship’ game is something I actively avoid, but it’s come into my world a bit too often for my liking this year. If we are all doing the best we can and are happy within ourselves, surely there is no need to judge others? To thine ownself be true!
Onwards, and upwards:
So, as you can see 2010 has been a year of ups and downs here at Save Mum’s Sanity. Looking forward to what 2011 has in store:
- Aussie Bloggers Conference in March.
- Getting fitter and healthier
- Choosing to be bolder and to put myself out there more
- Being an attendant at K and L’s commitment ceremony in Nov
- Watching my boy grow and explore
- Trying my hand at low-scale renovating and decorating
- Perhaps thinking about having another baby (perhaps and thinking? Double uncertainty … more thinking needed)
- Be flexible enough to run with whatever gets thrown my way, while trying to remember to keep smiling.
To all of you who have come to visit this year, thanks for stopping by. Farewell 2010, here’s to an uplifting 2011!